Sunday, November 21, 2010

Girls Visit - Buffalo, NY!
June 2010

Since Mel's move from Virginia to Buffalo, she and Tom found a house! It's really cute and has a huge lot, great for hanging out on their porch in the backyard. So Chandra and I flew up in late June for a visit. Melanie took us to downtown Buffalo for some live music and gave us a tour. We ended up hangingout in our PJ's, talking and watching movies for the majority of the time which is usually my favorite part of our being together :)


My second favorite was our visit to Niagara Falls, a first for me and Chandra. The force of all that water is really just indescribable and very cool to witness. We sprung for the Maid of the Mist boat ride which takes you to the middle of the horseshoe falls end. There is so much mist you can't really get any photos. A tiny bit scary too, feels like you might get sucked in closer and then be crushed into tiny bits from the force of the falls! The free snazzy blue ponchos are a bonus. After touring the American side of the falls, Melanie drove us over the border to Canada to see the view from that side. Equally impressive and so nice to face it and see it from a wider view. On the American side you are looking over the railing down at the falls or from the water looking up. We hung out on a cafe's patio and had a few beers waiting for the sun to set and see the falls light up. Once it gets pitch dark, fireworks go off, everyday during the summer... I think. We decided to start making our way back to the car while the other tourists stood around gazing at the fireworks. This was a great plan because we had to walk along the main street anyway so we could also watch the fireworks. Then, in typical Shelby fashion... I fell. Off the curb. Rolled my ankle enough that it hurt like the dickens. I limped back to the car, took some advil and elevated it for the ride home, then iced a bunch over the next 24 hours. It was swollen and left me limping a bit for a few days, but overall it could have been much worse! Ugh... I'm gonna need a walker before I'm 50.

No comments: