Wednesday, December 29, 2010

A Texas Christmas - Day 9
Dec. 26th
Goodbye Texas :(

Woke up and had my mission - to pick up some Round Rock donuts! I can't tell you how many people I've heard say "I don't like donuts, never eat them. But I love RR donuts!" I was seriously glad I had my new winter coat - holy jeez it was 29 earlier that morning and by the time I ventured out around 9:30 it was 34 I think. Rather a painful breezy morning as I fueled up my Mom's car and got her a car wash on my way to get my sinful breakfast treat... eeee! I can only eat like 2 of them before I feel ill and can't begin to remember how I could down a bag of donut holes for breakfast every morning during high school. Healthy start to a quality day of education! :) After donuts it was off to the airport...

At the airport I had a very happy moment as I realized the Austin airport DOES have a ThunderCloud in it!! I never walked that far down so I didn't know! Oh happy days. I went to Earl Campbell's bar for a few beers and to waste time, then right before boarding I was going to hit up T-Cloud mmmm. This was after having a slight panic of indecision over several of my favorite Austin spots as options for my "last meal". Salt Lick BBQ... Mangia Pizza.... Schlotzky's... Amy's ice cream - oh the agony.

After being slightly delayed and sitting on the plane for about an hour, the man sitting next to me realized they were not kidding when they told us they were waiting for paint for the plane and he kinda disappeared only to come back and be the guy that saved the day! Apparently he worked for FedEx and got off the plane to make some calls and get our plane hooked up with some paint. Got back to Oakland safe and sound albeit much later than I would've liked. I was exhausted, but ridiculously happy to know Josh was on his way to meet me at the BART station :) We exchanged gifts, mine sucked. Ok they didn't totally suck, I got him what he asked, but they didn't fit him very well. He knows me well and got me a hat from this old, well known hat maker just down the street from my apartment in North Beach and a very very cool cookbook. It explains some of the technical stuff behind cooking that you wouldn't know otherwise when looking at a recipe. I'm excited I might actually learn to have fun with cooking and do it well... one day!

No comments: