Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Mini Vacation - Monday 2/14

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY!

First off - holy crap it was windy and cold by the coast! We drove up about 55 miles north to Crescent City (almost to Oregon now!) It looks cold & windy... but I'm telling you the photo doesn't do it justice. You really can't tell that the wind was pushing me and inflating my jacket and my pants, I was giggling and trying to yell at Josh to hurry up with the flippin photo!
Then we drove inland a little, much warmer and less windy! Ok, not a ton warmer... but into Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park. Josh wanted to show me the Smith River. It's color is amazing and Josh was actually a little disappointed by it, said it is so much more emerald green and blue when the sun is out. I was impressed by how green/blue it was on such an overcast and rainy day!
Then we headed back a bit south and Josh found the trail head he wanted to take me on so we pulled over and hiked down to where the original highway was - can you imagine this was the highway? I have other pics where it literally just drops off. Hoping that back in the day there was a little more land on the coastal side... You can see the middle white lane stripe in this pic. We even found an old highway marker. We grabbed some wine at the only little "market" and headed back to the house for Valentines Dinner that Theresa was cooking up for all of us! SO sweet they wanted to share their prime rib valentines dinner with us :) We were very grateful and had a lot of fun.

No comments: