Saturday, November 27, 2010

A Texas Christmas - Day 1 & 2
Saturday/Sunday Dec. 18th and 19th

A slightly sad goodbye in Oakland as I had to leave Josh for 7 days during my favorite holiday. Plus I really would have loved to show him Texas and have him meet the Fam. Hopefully we will get an opportunity to go to Austin together sooner rather than later. I was, however, quite greatful to be heading out to sunny Texas as the forecast for the Bay Area was for a week straight of rain! I also left for my holiday visit quite stuffed up but this didn't seem to stop me from smelling the heavenly smell of TX BBQ as I got off the plane (the Austin airport is awesome, they only have local restaurants as options in the food court areas, one of those being Salt Lick BBQ). My Dad & Donna picked me up and we headed to Cistern to meet up with my brother and have a few beers at the bar before dinner. I am proud and thankful that the very first food to hit my lips was home cooked brisket... ohhhhhh mmmmmm.... it was technically just a quick snack for me as my folks didn't want me to starve before going to dinner. We left for dinner and yes, I wasn't all that hungry, lol, so I skipped on ordering the chicken fried steak the size of a football and went with baked potato soup and salad. By this point I was fighting some seriously stuffed up sinuses and my throat was very sore so I was just ready to go home. My Dad's netty pot to the rescue - except it didn't work too well :( My Dad said he'd never seen anyone as stuffed up as me :(

Sunday morning, another netty pot and with a little bit clearer head, we all headed out for brunch in La Grange. I was reminded how much I miss country cream gravy as I was pleased to see that every egg dish came with home fries, bacon and a side of biscuits and gravy - yum! And then, omg, I didn't realize my meal started with a cup of fruit and ended with a giant piece of chocolate cake! All for $12 - sweet! Spent the rest of the day hanging out with the folks and my brother Trey, watching the Cowboys win, goofing off on the computer and opening a few gifts. Just the 4 of us, not a big event, but some special gifts all the same. I got exactly what I wanted and needed: a little sound machine for my bedside table :) Between the squeeling tires of people doing their best to back into the most difficult parking spots on the steepest hill, my roommate coming home late with his whistling habit, drunk people walking up the hill to Coit Tower and then Ferrel Parrots of Telegraph Hill all heard clear as a bell with my 100 year old bedroom windows and paper thin old walls... I have become addicted to my "ocean sounds" app on the iphone. It doesn't work as well on my slow/old iphone 3G so I needed a replacement. I also got a UT scarf which I am looking forward to using next season - Hook 'Em!

No comments: