Monday, December 20, 2010

A Texas Christmas - Day 3 & 4
Monday & Tuesday Dec. 20th and 21st

Slept IN Monday morning due to staying up a bit late and from fighting my sinus infection, so by the time I got up there was time for a shower and coffee and then getting our butts in gear to Luling for the all time best BBQ for lunch! After stuffing my belly full of brisket, sausage, white bread, pickles and the famous Luling BBQ sauce... I asked for a driving tour to get started on my Texas photo collection. I am compiling pictures of everything that reminds me of Texas to make a coffee table book for myself one day.

We were off to a fantastic start as we stumbled upon a mother ostrich just off the side of the road hovering over her eggs! On the other side of the fence there was the male ostrich and some camels, of all things. It was awesome, I got some good shots. Then I realized my battery wasn't fully charged and that ended our photo excursion. But my Dad & Donna were troopers and swung back by the house for me to grab my other battery and we hit the road to Smithville where my Dad was born and raised and where I grew up going to my Mimi's house. I got shots of the house he was born in, his childhood home and then his 3rd house, as well as my Mimi's house and the school that both my Dad & his parents went to. Also in Smithville is the house I grew up loving, which is now known as the "Hope Floats" house. If you've seen the movie, you'll know what house I'm referring too. Coming back to Flatonia, we decided to catch Monday night BINGO at the Legion Hall. It was lots of fun, although none of us won a dime. I had the BEST red velvet cake (for $1!!), but when I tried to find a water fountain to wash it down, I found it was broken. My Dad replied "you'll just have to drink beer then". My Lone Star didn't quite pair well with my red velvet cake.

Tuesday: Today I insisted on getting my butt up in time to go to breakfast. This is not a flexible activity due to my Dad always meeting the gang at the same place at the same time every morning for yummy breakfast tacos. (Mine was egg, tiny crispy pieces of bacon, tiny pieces of potato that were fried up perfectly and homemade real mexican refried beans - mmmmm) We only had to be there at 8am, but this was more difficult than usual since I didn't fall asleep until about 1am and fought a cough that woke me up constantly all night long. After breakfast we went to the barn and sorted through some boxes of my childhood toys and books then came home and made a chocolate praline cake! Watched a movie, The Joneses, recommended, and then went to my favorite gift store where I always pick up a nick or nack. Bought a cute bobble ring. Later that evening we headed to Schulenberg to go to the "Cozy Theatre" to watch Tangled, but as officially run as the place is, Tangled wasn't the one showing, it was Unstoppable which my folks had already seen, but said they wouldn't mind seeing it again. I wasn't completely sold on the movie, but it was actually really good! Our pizza was delivered to us right before the movie started from the pizza place in the alley. Very handy, kinda like Alama Drafthouse!

2 comments:

Chandra said...

Awesome pictures! You and Mel should give me a call when you are together and open your little presents from me!

The Shavers Family said...

I always forget your dad grew up in Smithville... my dad STILL lives there and I love visiting so much! Great pics!