Monday, December 20, 2010

A Texas Christmas - Day 6
Dec. 23rd

In Boerne, TX at Trey's place. We woke up and went to pick up breakfast tacos for us and his coworkers - YUM! ...you know... I'll never understand why we don't have breakfast tacos in San Francisco. We've got Mexican food and we have the breakfast burrito. Is it really that far of a stretch to the breakfast taco?! Come on people! *sigh.
Mom was driving up from Round Rock to pick me up at Trey's work. He's a lighting consultant and his work has a great showroom so it was fun to look around and dream about what things I would get if I ever owned a place. It's over an hour and a half for sure and once Mom picked me up we were planning on meeting Aunt Elaine for lunch in Austin around noon. Well as 10:30 and then 11:00 rolled around, Trey and I had to laugh. Mom is NOT the quickest one out the door if she doesn't have to punch the work clock. However, this particular time I'll give her a little leeway as there was some incredibly heavy holiday traffic. Then once she did arrive, she had to have a chat with Trey & the guys and then of course got distracted by the fixtures, etc.

We finally left and Elaine was super sweet to be so flexible and not meet us til nearly 2pm for a late lunch. I picked East Side Cafe to eat at which I hadn't been to since my college graduation party! Love this place! It's a tiny house with a garden in back where they grow fruits and veggies that they use in their dishes and it's located on the "east side" of Austin, which is actually a cute area, but probably a hooker and a crack addict just a street over :P
We started off with brie and apple chutney and a bottle of champagne - cheers! I had a yummy salad and a side of acorn squash with ginger soy something or another. Elaine got me the cutest UT/Texas bracelet which I can't wait to wear next season as the Longhorns remind everyone how awesome they are!

After saying goodbye to Elaine, Mom and I took the scenic downtown Austin route home since the highway was still packed. On our agenda was a tiny bit of last minute shopping which took us over to the Domain where we went into Dick's sporting goods to get a Spurs hat for my Uncle Thomas. Walked in and immediately saw the racks of UT apparel, along with Texans and Cowboy stuff, so we figure there is a basketball section or something, but after wandering up to the second floor with no luck we ask the staff. No they don't carry Spurs stuff because "we aren't near San Antonio" was their reply. ... um... my reply "We aren't near Dallas or Houston, but you have Cowboy and Texan stuff... and for that matter, Houston & Dallas are twice as far away as San Antonio!" What the hell. I realized they did not carry Spurs items but I wanted a better answer, lol, so I asked a different sales person and got the same damn retort. I'm writing their marketing team because I can't handle such stupidity. I'm SO not an A&M fan, but there are a ton of them living in Austin, so if you aren't the co-op or a shop located right near campus, you should be selling Aggie stuff don't you think? After that we hopped over to Macy's hoping for better luck finding Josh a sweater he would like. He asked for one with a zipper by the neck which we found lots of, just none in his size :( I did my best, but once I got home and exchanged gifts with Josh, they were a disappointment, not the best fit. Oh well, guess we are going shopping soon! Never fear Mom and I did find a good buy ;) I got a new coat and just in time as Saturday, Christmas morning it was flippin freezing in Austin!
On the way home we grabbed ThunderCloud Subs - so simple, so good. I'm not sure many people outside of the ThunderCloud Fan Club understand. It's really sad they miss out. I worked at the RR location when I was 16 and still, to this day, best job ever! Ok... best job ever if you can afford to live on $5.00/hr. LOL! Ahhh... good times.

No comments: